Sunday, June 16, 2013

Sweet Kuzhi Paniyaram



Today's recipe is from the famous chettinad cuisine which is one of my favorites. Its called Kuzhi Paniyaram. Though my mom has never made this at home, I had the opportunity to have this at my friend’s place. Since that time I had been wanting to prepare this at home, but I was not having the mould or special pan that’s used to make these paniyaram. Some time back my parents had over come to visit us, and my mom got me this mould. I was so excited seeing that and wanted to make paniyaram’s immediately. But dint get the time though. Today I made up my mind to make the panniyaram.
        Kuzhi Paniyaram’s can be made either as sweet or savoury dish. Well today i gonna try the sweet version of it. I enjoyed making it and also having it, I hope my readers would also like it. Please try making this paniyaram’s and sharing your feedback. So lets get onto the recipe.
Ingredients:
Paniyaram pan
Idli/Dosa batter - 11/2 cup (I have included the recipe for Idli in my previous posts, please refer to that)
Coconut, grated - 3 tbsp
Jaggery / Pam sugar - 5 tbsp or as required
Cardamom powder - a pinch
Salt to taste(a pinch should suffice, as this is a sweet dish)
Ghee or cooking oil

Method:
Mix together Idli / Dosa batter, jaggery/Pam sugar, grated coconut, a pinch of salt and cardamom powder. The batter should be thick as once the jaggery dissolves; the batter tends to become slightly thin.
Now heat the paniyaram pan and then add 1/2 a tsp of oil in each hole of the pan. Then fill in the holes with the prepared batter. Ensure to fill only up to ¾ of the hole.
Cover and cook on slow to medium flame for about 5 to 6 minutes. Once the bottom starts browning, using a skewer flip it over gently to the other side. Now allow it cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Keep an eye on it as it will turn brown very quickly.

Once it’s ready remove from the pan and serve hot. This can be had as it is. You could drizzle over some Honey / Dates Syrup / Maple Syrup for extra flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment